This week is National BBQ Week, just in time for the bank holiday. As we enter June the days are warming up, and so are the rocks of our fire pits.
Make the most of evenings in the garden with the benefit of some fire pit warmth and attach a griddle to cook fresh and delicious meals outdoors, without even leaving the table.
Here’s one of our favourite griddle recipes for simple Grilled Halloumi Skewers, a lovely, light BBQ dish.
Ingredients (Makes 4 Skewers)
• 200g halloumi
• 2 peppers, 1 red and 1 green
• 2 courgettes
• 16 cherry or mini plum tomatoes
• 1 lime, zest and juice
• 1 garlic clove (crushed)
• 4 basil leaves
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• Optional chilli flakes for added heat
• Soak skewers in cold water.
• Cut halloumi into 16 cubes.
• Slice each pepper into 8 pieces.
• Cut courgette into 8 slices.
• Alternate tomatoes, halloumi, courgette and peppers along the skewer and place in a shallow dish.
• Make the marinade by mixing the olive oil, lime (zest and juice), garlic, basil leaves and chilli flakes if using, in a small bowl.
• Brush the kebabs liberally, leaving a little for later, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
• Preheat the smooth side of the griddle.
• Once hot, cook each skewer for 3-4 minutes, turning once in the middle and basting with the remaining marinade.
Serve with fresh peppery salad leaves or alongside our Grilled Chimichurri Steak recipe for a more substantial meal.
For all our griddle recipes, including meat, vegetarian and dessert options, click here.